LACKAWANNA COLLEGE HAS BEEN VOTED ONE OF THE
“BEST PLACES TO WORK IN PA” FOR 2014, 2015,
2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020!
Lackawanna College is a private, accredited college serving the people of Northeastern
Pennsylvania. Our main campus is located in downtown Scranton, and our footprint includes satellite centers in Covington
Twp., Hawley, Hazleton, Sunbury, Towanda and Tunkhannock
Our mission is to provide a quality education to all persons who seek to improve their lives and
better the communities in which they live. We provide our students with a direct path to a bachelor’s degree, associate degree, or one
of many different professional certifications. Additionally, our Continuing Education
department helps put the people of Northeastern Pennsylvania back to work with modern career skills. Lackawanna is also one of
cost-efficient regional higher education institutions.
If our mission inspires you, and you are willing to go the extra mile
to help our students succeed, please feel free to apply for this or future employment opportunities for which you meet the minimum
qualifications. We particularly encourage applications from historically underrepresented groups including women and minorities.
Please know that only the candidates who meet the minimum qualifications can be considered, and only those selected
for interviews will be contacted by a college representative. No phone calls,
FUNCTIONS, PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBJECTIVES:
The Manager of Special Events & Alumni Relations plans and executes
a variety of college sponsored events, to broaden the awareness and to strengthen relations with staff, faculty, students, alumni, donors,
and community members. He/She will be primarily responsible for managing the strategic execution of the college’s annual calendar of
special events that support annual giving efforts and all activities related to fundraising and alumni cultivation. This position will also
assist other college departments with the logistical planning and execution of non-fundraising events such as commencement and other special
This position will also be responsible for overseeing all on-campus alumni cultivation activities including interaction with
current students, homecoming festivities, and other activities that will engage students to better understand the importance of giving back
to the College through future philanthropic efforts.
Additionally, the Manager will provide support in various manners to the Vice
President for College Advancement in the effort to grow relationships and overall annual giving to Lackawanna College. He/She is responsible
for concept, scheduling, execution and reporting on result of these efforts.
Coordinates and manages special events as assigned by the Vice President for Advancement.
2. Responsible for conceptualizing,
planning, and producing all aspects of select major special events including goal setting, timelines, task lists, budgets, responsibility
checklist and on-site event management.
3. Coordinates with marketing and public relations department to produce invitations,
programs, web page content tickets and other event materials to ensure events are marketed effectively and are properly publicized.
4. Develop and manage a comprehensive program of alumni activities and events that will retain positive relationships with graduating
students and alumni to encourage their continued financial support for the College and active participation in alumni affairs. Specific
focus will be given to new group of bachelor degree seeking students.
5. Manage constituency relationships and partnerships,
programs, campaigns and events that result in growing revenue for the College.
6. Supervise staff and/or volunteer efforts to ensure
successful and productive outcomes for each event.
7. Lead and/or coordinate all College related events with specialty constituents
such as trustees, current employees, alumni, and local/regional businesses in a sophisticated and effective fashion.
8. Assist in
broadening the College’s annual donor base with a specific focus on increasing the number of alumni, parents and students who
participate in giving each year.
9. Determine annual fundraising goals for events in conjunction with the Vice President and
other members of the Advancement Staff.
10. Create, develop and execute a highly effective and sustainable volunteer engagement plan
to support current and future giving.
11. Provide strategic direction and long-range/short-range planning in the context of growing
the annual giving program while supporting the greater development goals of College Advancement.
12. Collaborate with other
department heads to ensure that overlapping or related event initiatives are coordinated.
13. Participate in the Institutional
Strategic Planning process as requested.
14. Assess achievement of departmental plans annually, formally report results to supervisor
and participate in the College wide review of departmental plans as requested.
15. Foster the growth of best practices in areas
related to annual giving and the College as a whole.
16. Other duties as assigned.
1. Detail orientated, ability to follow college established procedures/processes
2. Excellent time management and planning skills
with exceptional follow-through.
3. Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple priorities, produce quality work, and meet
4. Demonstrated organizational and communication skills.
5. Ability to work with enthusiasm to motivate
other development professionals and volunteers.
6. Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
Willingness and ability to travel and to work nights and weekends, as required.
8. Ability to work cooperatively to achieve common
goals; support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information while providing the best quality product available and continuously
upgrade standards to maintain quality, in all areas of responsibility.
9. Ability to provide direction and motivation to others
through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
10. Familiarity of database management, gift
processing and donor relations is desirable.
11. Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to think quickly and adapt
to changing situations appropriately.
12. Ability to listen carefully to and understand customers’ needs, both internally and
externally, and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
Demonstrated analytical and fund raising skills
with the ability to recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.
– Bachelor’s degree required.
– Master’s degree preferred.
– 3 – 5 years’ experience in fundraising, event management or sales preferred.
Prior experience in Higher Education preferred.
Applications will only be
accepted via online method OR email. If selecting the email option, interested candidates can email resumes to [email protected]. Deadline for
applications, Wednesday April 6th. No phone calls, please.
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments
of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and all other applicable
non-discrimination laws, Lackawanna College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex,
sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran’s status, or genetic information in its educational programs and activities, admissions,
and with regard to employment.
Lackawanna College is an accredited, private, non-profit educational institution providing
opportunities for career and personal development within selected associates degree, certificate and continuing education program.
Consideration for evaluation of qualifications and hiring will be made in a fair and equitable basis. There will be no discrimination due to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or any other legally protected class. Lackawanna College is an accredited, private, non-profit educational institution providing opportunities for career and personal development within selected associate degree, certificate and continuing education programs.